Attempting to work, think, and innovate in a stale environment can be an incredibly difficult task for anyone. Going day-to-day in the same room can make you lose interest and passion in what you’re doing. That’s why getting a change of scenery is so important!
Placing yourself into a new, stimulating environment can be one of the most beneficial things to get out of a rut. You don’t have to leave your office (or classroom) to make these changes!
Here’s some ways we mix it up at Apperson:
- Go for a “shuffle” (a walk outside)
- Listen to music
- Personal photos and decorations on desks and walls
- White boards with many, many, (and I mean many) colored markers
- No overhead lights (decorative lamps are our best friend)
So, what about your students?
- Change the classroom decorations regularly (posters, bulletin boards, etc.)
- Teach a lesson outside! Fresh air is always, well, refreshing
- Change seating and desk arrangements
- Mix up the lighting; no one likes harsh fluorescents
- Take them to the library!
- Can you say field trip?!
Keep your students motivated and engaged by switching things up. This will help keep them interested and excited to be in your classroom. Have another trick or tip that works for you? Share with us in the comments section below!